In 1610 in Annecy, France St. Francis de Sales and St. Jane de Chantal founded the Order of the Visitation. Sisters of the visitation of Holy Mary are called to be Women of Prayer, Women of the Gospel and Women of the Church. In the spirit of their motto “Live Jesus” they respond to this call in a monastic contemplative community. The first house of the Visitation in the U.S. was founded in Georgetown, Washington, D.C. in 1799 and, in 1855 the Sisters of the Visitation came to Brooklyn, New York to educate the girls of the diocese in the arts, sciences and especially in Catholic philosophy and belief. In 1903, the Sisters moved to “Beautiful View” in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, a seven acre site which proved to be a perfect setting for a monastery and school. The facilities of the Monastery and Academy were expanded with the addition of the Sacred Heart Chapel and lunchroom.
Visitation in Brooklyn belongs to the Second Federation of Visitation Schools in the U.S. with headquarters at their monastery in Georgetown, Washington, D.C. The Second Federation of schools include: St. Louis, Missouri, Georgetown, Washington, D.C., Brooklyn, New York, Mendota Heights, Minnesota and Wheeling, West Virginia. Another Visitation Academy in Frederick, Maryland is associated with the First Federation of Visitation Monasteries