Visitation Academy provides a unique learning environment for the education of young girls. We are an all-girls Nursery through Eighth Grade school that prepares our students to be responsible women of tomorrow. Our mission is to empower our students to be morally responsible women of faith, vision, and purpose.
We believe in an enriched curriculum fashioned around the child of today who will become the adult of tomorrow. Founded in 1855 with a mission to educate young women, Visitation Academy is a faith-centered community in the Roman Catholic faith and Salesian tradition. The heart of a Visitation education is rooted in the spirit of St. Francis de Sales and St. Jane de Chantal. Respect for the individual is imparted through living the seven little virtues of kindness, gentleness, respect, joy, peace, simplicity, and love.
We are a Middle States Sustaining Excellence school and a Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History affiliate, a National Endowment of the Humanities program designed to provide students with a range of resources, opportunities and tools for the study of history. Students participate in a robust STEM curriculum, performing arts and visual arts classes and extracurricular activities, and a French language immersion program.
We believe that:
- Education is the shared responsibility of the student, home, school, and community
- All students have a right to be educated in a safe, supportive, challenging environment where they can learn to be citizens of a culturally diverse society in order to create a better and more peaceful world
- Effective teaching and learning rests upon the recognition of the unique talents and learning styles of each student
- Each student through engaging and challenging academics can become a responsible steward of the world
- Every student’s self-esteem is fostered by positive relationships with students and faculty
- A community of learners working together in a safe, challenging environment that encourages dignity, enthusiasm, involvement, independence and responsibility through high expectations and cooperation, will result in life-long learning and personal growth
Faith in Community
Our school community is an environment that values excellence in scholarship, spirituality, leadership and service, and we encourage students to develop their unique gifts. Visitation Academy is a community built on the tradition of educating children and young women to receive and share Jesus as Mary did in her visitation to Elizabeth.
As students learn to live Jesus with gentleness, humility, joy and freedom, they are prepared to continue to grow and to respond to others, the Church, and the global community.